This programme is suitable for students aged 7 to 19 years of age with a boarding place at a UK Independent School. It is designed to give students a full package of care and meet the guardianship requirements of their school.
The student will have the full services of the Alpha Guardianship Team, who are based locally, often within 20 minutes of the school. Where a school is selected outside of our preferred 60 minute distance from school, students will still receive Alpha’s full services and the travel distance will be notified.
This programme includes:
- Local Guardian to the School – Alpha is within one hour travelling of the school applied for.
- Transport arranged to/from the airport or Host Family with named driver or Alpha Team.
- Regular Contact from the Alpha Team to student and school including school matters, trips and information as well as pastoral and academic support.
- Regular Contact with school and host by the Alpha Team including school matters, trips, information and updates.
- Regular Updates with parents/agents
- Progress Monitoring of academic achievement, attendance and wellbeing.
- Attendance at school functions e.g. Progress/Parents Evenings and Award Nights.
- Control of Payments from Expenses Lodgement including pocket money, if requested
- 24 Hour Emergency Cover with immediate contact should any significant event or incident occur.
This programme is suitable for students aged 11 to 19 years of age, with a place in an Independent school and wishing to live with a host family, or a student wishing to apply for a short term immersion programme.
The Host Family is carefully selected for each individual student with likes, dislikes, personalities, hobbies and pets all being taken into consideration, as well as distance to school. The Homestay option enables the student to experience British Culture and way of life, as well as great exposure to the English Language. It is designed to give students a full package of care whilst benefiting from living in a Family Environment.
This programme includes:
- Host Family Placement in a carefully selection, fully checked Host Family with regular visits from The Alpha Team.
- Own Bedroom.
- Full Board Accommodation at weekends and holidays, with half board on school days.
- School Application Service or application advice and support inc visit support and induction information
- Transport to/from Airport with named driver or Alpha Team
- Attendance at school functions e.g. Progress/Parents Evenings.
- Host Family Accommodation arranged during Holidays, Half terms and Exeat Weekends with fully DBS checked and inspected Host, including transport arrangements.
- Control of Payments from Expenses Lodgement including pocket money, if requested.
- Regular Updates with parents/agents.
- Travel Arrangements as required ie to local groups or activities
- 24 Hour Emergency Cover with immediate contact should any significant event or incident occur
- School application advice and support including visit support and induction information
This programme includes:
- Emergency cover 24 hours a day.
- Liaison with the university to assist with application, arrival and throughout your time there, until no longer required.
- Visa support letter if required.
- Arrangement of transport to/from airport if required.
- Arrangement of host family accommodation if required.
- The Alpha team are available for support and advice.
Some of the most common frequently asked questions are addressed here.
Covid is now part of everyday life in the UK, with schools, shops and other amenities all open. Testing is vastly reduced and guidance is to remain at home if you feel unwell with covid symptoms, however no special quarantine precautions are advised.
Mask wearing is optional, with most choosing not to wear a mask. If covid is contracted the recommended treatment is to remain at home and take paracetamol and ibuprofen, if needed.
All students need to have a prior knowledge of English as they will be placed into an English speaking school, with all classes being taught in English. Some schools recommend students use a testing system prior to application to grade their English level to ensure they can cope with the level of English required for their studies as well as being able to communicate effectively and adapt to life in the UK.
Each of our host families goes through a vigorous application and interview procedure, followed by the taking of references and DBS checks (Police checks) to ensure suitability. Our hosts have to attend training prior to having a student placed in their care, which provides additional information to the host regarding the student, such as transition to life in the UK and student safety, ensuring the best possible preparation for the host to care for the student placed in their home. After this process is complete, we endeavour to profile both the students and host families, matching as many requests and interests, likes and dislikes as possible. Once this is complete, we can introduce you to your new host family, enabling you to build relationships and get to know each other prior to your arrival. Throughout your time in the UK under our guardianship, we remain in regular contact with you and your host to ensure your stay is an enjoyable one.
Yes. We already have a number of students with specific dietary requirements from lactose intolerance to peanut allergies, coeliacs (gluten) to vegetarians. We endeavour to cater for all students and will find a host that is able to manage a specialised diet. If this is you, please state this on your application form, so we can make provision for you as early as possible. This may incur an additional cost.
Yes and we strongly encourage this. Tuition and additional lessons can be arranged and some schools are able to offer music lessons as well as school orchestras or choirs. Schools offer extra-curricular activities such as sports, crafts and academic subjects whilst other hobbies can be pursued in the local community. So whatever your hobby, ask, and we shall see what we can arrange.
Whether you would like a quiet, retired family or a family with children or no children at all, we will endeavour to meet any requests you may have. Please indicate your preferences on the application form.
We can arrange private additional English tuition to help your English improve from the outset of your time in the UK to ensure swift progress in your language skills. We also suggest that you converse in English with your host family whenever possible, as this will help you build your confidence, vocabulary and encourage you in your language development.
We understand that sometimes a placement just does not work out and although, if possible, we will try and facilitate any issues or concerns between student, host, parents and agent, sometimes it is necessary to move a student. When this happens we will liaise with all concerned to try and find a timely alternative, hopefully minimising any disruption to the students studies.
Host families come from a range of different backgrounds, ages and family situations. Yet one thing that they do have in common is that they are English-speaking, have an interest in meeting young people from different cultures and a desire to make your stay enjoyable, providing a safe place for you to live and meet your daily needs.
The family you have been placed with has been especially selected for you, reflecting your requirements, interests and special requests.
Our drivers will meet you at the airport terminal, before transporting you safely to your homestay or school.
After this the Alpha Guardians Team will meet you during the your first days at school, meeting with school staff and ensuring that everything is in place for you. You will then receive regular visits to either your homestay or school to ensure you are settling in well, along with regular communications.
The Alpha Guardians team can always be contacted via phone, email, text, whatsapp and WeChat at any time.
For more information on our services, please complete the form below;